Skip to main content
Developing a Topic
1. Selecting a topic
2. Identify keywords
3. Finding background information
Start taking notes early! Record where you get all of your information, this will help when it comes to citations later.
Sources of Background Information
Background information can be found in:
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
- article databases
Purpose of Background Research
Once you have identified some keywords, the next step is to find background information on your topic. Background research:
- Provides a good overview of the topic if you are unfamiliar with it.
- Helps identify important facts -- terminology, dates, events, history, organizations, etc.
- Can help refine your topic.
- Leads to bibliographies which provide additional sources of information.
G.R. Little Library
Elizabeth City State University