Skip to Main Content
Developing a Topic
1. Selecting a topic
2. Identify keywords
3. Finding background information
Struggling to identify keywords? Try this... which words would you #hashtag if it was #socialmedia ?
The keywords you use can have a profound impact on the results of your research. Using the “right” words will speed up the research process, while the “wrong” words can bring to it to a halt.
Before you can begin searching for information, you need to identify keywords related to your topic. Key terminology can be easily be found by scanning:
- Your research questions
- Articles found from background research
- Bibliographies found at the end of books and articles
If you are still struggling:
- Use a thesaurus to identify synonyms.
- Find pictures related to your topic, then describe them.
- Brainstorm keywords with a librarian, your instructor, or a friend.
G.R. Little Library
Elizabeth City State University